Monday, September 21, 2015

Correct Pronunciation



I get job satisfaction from unusual things. The other day, a guy in Hawaii gave me a compliment because I correctly pronounced the name of the street where his business is located. When I said "Honoapiilani Road," he said, "Pretty good!"

I'm working on a database update project, verifying or confirming contact information and other data for a trade association. I've worked on the project this time of year for the past four years. It's one of the few projects that gives me a chance to call Hawaii. I learned from working on the project in the past that in Hawaiian, the vowels do not usually blend; each vowel is pronounced individually.

I'm grateful that I studied French and German in high school. Doing so gave me a leg up on pronouncing just about any European name I come across. I do better than most telemarketers and survey takers, but I've slaughtered my share of people's names and place names. Greek names still give me trouble. I often have to practice saying Middle Eastern names before I dial the person. Most Asian names aren't as hard to pronounce as they look. I have been able to set appointments, complete surveys, or at least get a person to listen to me for 30 seconds just because I pronounced their names correctly.

I've learned that even if I do mispronounce a person's name or a place name, most people appreciate an honest effort. People in Hawaii don't seem to expect mainlanders to be able to pronounce Hawaiian place names correctly. I hear small expressions of delight if I come close.

I would love to hear from anyone who has faced similar or more difficult challenges. I rarely have to call anyone overseas. If you have, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment